In 1925, Armand Desaegher and Octave Aubecq realized they could improve upon cast iron by coating it with a glaze of porcelain enamel. Their first product was a French oven, and the vibrant colors the company produced were soon very popular. Today, their iron is still cast in the same original foundry in the French town of Fresnoy-Le-Grand.
They are now commonly viewed as a producer of some of the finest French cookware. Modern pieces reflect their now international presence, as they draw inspiration from traditional Japanese, Italian and even Moroccan pieces. Each piece is crafted, perfected and inspected by a total of 15 people, ensuring that each piece is of good quality.
So, it’s no surprise when avid tea drinkers are asked about their favorite kettles, the name Le Creuset is often heard. In fact, some of the most popular tea kettles in the world are made by Le Creuset. The following four are among the most popular, so we decided to investigate a bit, do our own Le Creuset Reviews, to find out exactly what is so special about them.
Le Creuset Enamel-on-Steel Zen 1-2/3-Quart Teakettle
The most popular Le Creuset tea kettle, according to our research, was the Le Creuset Zen Teakettle. While users left raving reviews about the quality of this kettle, there were a few small things about this kettle that everyone seemed to really appreciate.
- Its shape allows for easy, thorough cleaning. With its wide bottom, it’s easier to clean the hard to reach areas of this kettle in comparison to other models. This is particularly important, since this model is not dishwasher safe.
- Its whistle is reportedly a little softer than old fashioned kettles.
- Its handle folds down for easy storage.
- It comes in a number of bright, appealing color choices.
- It’s suitable to use on any burner, so it’s perfect for gifts.
Le Creuset Enameled Steel 1.6 Quart Oolong Tea Kettle
As the second most popular Le Creuset tea kettle we found, the Le Creuset Oolong Tea Kettle is priced around $10 US dollars above the Zen model, at around $80 US dollars. With an ergonomic, heat resistant handle, it makes pouring tea much easier than with older kettles. Like the Zen model, this kettle is made of enamel over stainless steel, so its durability is very apparent. Here are some things we found users liked best about the Oolong Le Creuset tea kettle.
- It is easy to handle and pour, and can even be used with induction or ceramic heat sources.
- It has a loud, consistent whistle.
- Most were impressed with how easy it was to pour with one hand, lessening the chance of a steam burn.
- Its tight lid makes the water boil faster than some kettles.
- Although, once again, Cherry is the color shown below (being the most popular!), many other colors are available. Click the link below to view.
Le Creuset 1.2 Quart Stainless Steel Demi Tea Kettle
At the same price point as the Oolong tea kettle, we found this stainless steel kettle to be a close call for a third favorite. Dishwasher safe with heat resistant lid knob, it shares many characteristics of the other Le Creuset tea kettle models.
- Most users claim this is one of the most durable kettles in this price range. Since the outside is polished stainless steel, enamel chipping is not a concern.
- The kettle’s traditional stainless steel look with modern features make it a great gift for those who are still using older kettles.
- The whistle is a bit softer than traditional kettles.
- The pivoting handle makes this kettle easy to store when it’s not in use. Although, it’s a beautiful addition to any kitchen with the room to display it!
- This delightful whistling tea kettle is also available in enamel-on-steel in colors.
Le Creuset Enamel-On-Steel Kettle and Mug Gift Set
Though a set, we’ve listed this as a fourth favorite because even though it includes two tea mugs, it’s still conveniently priced in the same range as the stand alone kettles. Available in a wide range of colors just like the other Le Creuset tea kettle (excluding the stainless steel model) examples we’ve reviewed, this is a perfect starter set for those who wish to pair their Le Creuset tea kettle with other matching Le Creuset accessories. It has a similar handle to the Oolong kettle, and boasts the same heat resistant lid knob and ability to heat on multiple surfaces.
- The mugs in this set match those in the Le Creuset tea coffee set, so it’s easy to decorate your kitchen with accessories that complement this kettle. Most claim the mugs are just the right weight to not feel heavy or fragile.
- It has a more pleasant whistle than most traditional kettles.
- It heats quickly due to its short, stout stature and tight lid.
- Users report the lid even stays put if the kettle is entirely upside down, making risky burns much rarer than before.
(Incidentally – the Le Creuset color ‘Flame’ remains the best selling cast iroon color in markets like the UK, Germany and Japan!)
Overall, those who splurged to buy a Le Creuset tea kettle seemed happy with their purchase years later. Since the company also makes other kitchen appliances and accessories, most found the company’s beautiful variety of colors to be one of the most appealing aspects of their kettles. Even though the kettles are priced a bit higher than simpler, more traditional models, you can often find good deals with online retailers such as Amazon, who frequently have very competitive prices for Le Creuset items, often along with free postage, and always with great back up and customer service.
” A Le Creuset Tea Kettle is not only a fine appliance, it is a work of art. Every piece of Le Creuset Enameled Cast Iron passes through the hands of 15 skilled craftsmen.”
If you are like many others and are tired of purchasing “disposable” kettles year after year, you may find that a Le Creuset tea kettle is just what you need for years ahead of delightful tea drinking.